An enjoyable and safe holiday
All reasonable steps have been taken to ensure you have an enjoyable and safe holiday with The Thinking Traveller. It should be noted, however, that safety standards and regulations do vary from country to country.
The Thinking Traveller has its own set of standards, and safety levels in all our properties are assessed in accordance with these. We also work very closely with our suppliers to ensure that safety levels are maintained.
Please refer to the “Think About” section for each villa on our websites, where you will find specific information relevant to that villa. We recommend that all clients take precautions to safeguard their own safety and that of their family and guests, especially children, people with disabilities and the elderly.
If you have any specific Health & Safety questions about any of our properties, please speak to our Client Managers, who have visited all our villas and slept at many. They will be only too pleased to answer your queries.
All our villas undergo Health & Safety inspections by The Thinking Traveller's local staff, all of whom have received H&S training with an independent and fully qualified professional. Here are some of the fundamental elements of our Health & Safety policy, designed to give you peace of mind:
1. The electrical wiring and gas appliances in all our villas are certified as conforming with relevant Italian/EU standards. They undergo regular inspection by accredited contractors.
2. Each villa is provided with fire blankets and smoke detectors.
3. Swimming pools - each pool is provided with a life saving ring or a reach pole. Pool notices are in place specifying pool depths and “no diving”
4. Emergency contact and information: each villa is provided with a sheet of emergency contact details and the number of a Local Manager available 24/7 in case of emergency.
Before you depart on your holiday, you will be sent a comprehensive House Guide for your villa. House Guides are individual to each property and are designed to help you get the most out of your accommodation and the local area. They include all the contacts you may require during your stay and highlight any safety elements specific to the villa. Please read carefully before and during your stay.
General Safety Information
We would like to highlight the following safety recommendations:
As a general rule, please exercise the same care and cautions that you would at home.
• on arrival at your villa, take some time to familiarise yourself with all areas
• take care to look around the garden of the villa in daylight to familiarise yourself with any low walls, drop-offs or steep descents
• many of our villas have large, extensive grounds. Where this is the case, we recommend that younger children do not wander too far from the house without parental supervision.
• remember that children may be less careful than adults in new surroundings – so please take extra care with children on balconies, stairs and around water at all times, but especially during the first day when everything is unfamiliar. There is no substitute for parental vigilance.
• on arrival take time to familiarise yourself with the emergency exit routes where applicable.
• read any safety information regarding your villa.
• make a note of the nearest exits and how to raise the alarm in the case of fire.
• smoking is not permitted at any of our properties. Please ensure that all cigarettes/cigars are smoked outside and fully extinguished.
• if there is a fireplace in your villa, ensure that fires are not left burning when you go out or go to bed.
• make sure all candles are extinguished before going to bed or leaving the property.
• in the event of fire, leave your villa/room immediately.
• do not stop to pack or collect your belongings.
• stay calm and do not panic.
• exit the building as quickly as possible closing all doors behind you.
Electricity and Gas
• all gas and electric appliances have been checked to ensure that they comply with the relevant safety standards
• please respect gas and electricity as you would at home and follow any instructions given
• please ensure that all gas and electric devices are turned off at night or when you are not in your villa or room.
• do not tamper with any related fixture or fitting and report any faults immediately.
Take extra care on balconies. children should never be left unsupervised or:
• allowed to climb on furniture.
• allowed to climb or railings.
• allowed to sit on or lean over balconies or railings.
Where large glass doors are fitted please take extra care especially in bright sunlight as it is not always obvious whether they are open or closed. Serious injury can occur if care is not taken.
• cots provided in villas may be travel cots.
• please exercise caution as children will be sleeping in unfamiliar surroundings.
• high chairs may not have a harness. Please ensure that a child is secure and do not leave a child unattended in a high chair.
Please avoid the sun’s strongest rays during the middle of the day and make use of the shade. Always use a high factor sun protection suitable for your skin type and re-apply often, especially after swimming.
• children should always wear a hat and have their shoulders covered.
• avoid exposing babies under six months to direct sunlight.
Swimming Pool Safety
• diving is not permitted either from the side of the pool or from diving boards
• walk and do not run around the pool.
• please check the pool pool depths shown on the pool notice situated by the pool or in the villa.
• swimming at night is not recommended. Take extra care should you choose to swim at night
• eating and drinking do not mix with swimming.
• no breakable items, e.g. drinking glasses, glass bottles, etc. are to be used around the pool.
• inside furniture is to be kept inside the villa and not taken to the pool.
• do not lift or remove the pool filter covers or try to adjust the chlorine levels or pH controls balance.
Pool Safety for Children
• children should be supervised by a responsible adult at all times around the pool area.
• please take special care during the first few hours after arrival at the villa when children are using the pool for the first time
• armbands, rubber rings and buoyancy aids are not a substitute for parental vigilance
• ensure you check the depths of the main pool and any children’s pool, and take note of where the pool changes depth.
• please protect your children and ensure that they remain in view at all times, especially small children and weak swimmers.
• the “no diving” and “no running around the pool” rules applies to children as well as adults.
Infinity Pools (also called Horizon Pools)
Infinity pools are increasingly popular as they offer incredible views from within the pool and its surroundings. Due to their design however, some have significant drops from the far edge. Please be aware of these, particularly with children, and observe the above precautions. Inflatable items, such as lilos must, not be used in infinity pools.
Jacuzzis, Steam Rooms & Saunas
Please do not use these facilities if:
• you suffer from heart disease, circulatory problems, an infectious skin disease, sores or wounds.
• you are taking any medication unless you have checked in advance with a medical professional that it is safe to use these facilities.
• suffer from an illness causing an inability to perspire.
• have eaten a heavy meal and/or alcohol within one and a half hours.
• are feeling unwell
• have recently exercised. Please allow time for your body temperature to return to normal.
How to use these facilities safely:
• they can operate at high temperatures, so ensure that they are set at a comfortable temperature for you before you enter the water.
• do not wear contact lenses, glasses, make-up, jewellery, watches or any other metal items.
• stay in for no longer than 10 minutes at a time.
• take a cold shower between sessions.
• staying for long periods can result in sickness, dizziness or fainting.
• if you are pregnant seek medical advice first
• avoid jumping in or fooling around
• ensure you know where the controls are, particularly any emergency shut-off buttons.
• if there are any faults or damage, do not try to fix these yourself, but report them to your representative who can call in a professional
• children under 12 should not use these facilities.
Always replace body fluids which will have been lost during the session by drinking plenty of liquids – but not alcohol.
• do not feed, pet or play with any wild or domesticated animals.
• keep children from playing near wild or domesticated animals.
• please use litter bins provided and replace lids where fitted, thus discouraging wasps and vermin.
• look after your personal belongings – please take advantage of safety deposit facilities where available, and ensure that personal items are not left on display in cars.
• take care when crossing the road, remembering that they drive on the right in Italy.
• please do not try to fix anything on your own. Please contact your local representative to report any breakages or damage.
Even the safest beaches can be dangerous in certain weather conditions.
• be aware of depths, tides and currents.
• check local advice and respect any warnings of strong currents.
• swim along the shore and not out to sea
• do not swim alone or at night or allow children to swim unsupervised at any time.
• take great care when using inflatable boats or lilos on open water
• if the beach has a flag system, please learn and follow it.